Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Banana & pickle

I eat lunch at the lab. Food is brought in daily during the week and I think we pay 2.5 euros per meal (about $3 US). I was on the water yesterday for lunch so I missed the meal. Today I found someone nice (named Severine) had written my name on a banana to make sure I got it.
I love what we call baby dill pickles in the states. They are salty and taste of dill. I tried to buy some here in France. 
The jar I bought was labeled Petis Croquants Aigres-Doux which translates to little bittersweet crunchy.  I ate one and I thought I would never eat another in 100 years. I told some people at the lab about my experience with pickles, and they told me this is how pickles are commonly served in France. Today I ate a few more.  I'm trying to like them. I take responsibility for not being happy with the purchase. I made it with free will. Still the jar has a plastic lift so you can easily get pickles without having to put your fingers in the juice. What does this say about the pickles?

I'm tired so I decided to leave work early and take a nap. Naps are important.


4 comments:

  1. Dan, it is said that we never like the really good things first. When I came to France and tasted "cornichon" the first time, I did not like it and I missed the one I can by in Hungary. But for now I became a big fan of the french cornichon and I can easily eat a half bottle of that in one day sometimes. I suggest you to try the "Maille" brand, I think they have the best ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalman,

      I will try the brand you recommend. I can eat a half jar a day also if I like them. Thanks for the tip.

      Dan

      Delete
  2. Dan, next time you should try the 'classical' pickles and not the aigre doux ones. I agree with Kalman the Maille brand is famous.

    Just let us know if the next ones are better.

    ReplyDelete