Saturday, April 16, 2016

Saturday

Last week I was rather busy. I had to set an alarm to rise at 5:30 am on three mornings. Today I decided to sleep in. I awoke with new-found energy. I worked on laundry & went to the market around mid-morning. I bravely bought a new brand of pickles (cornichons) based on a recommendation by Kalman & Jean. This is a much tastier pickle - very nice indeed!
For my American friends, I have decided to share a picture of some food items so one can judge the cost of food here in Thonon.
So here we have 250 grams of onions costing 2 euros. Roughly $4/pound.
125 grams of blue cheese costing 3.15 euros. Roughly $14/pound.
130 grams of chips costing 1.60 euros.  Roughly $5.40/pound.
A dozen farm-raised eggs costing 2.82 euros. Roughly $3.20.
A red pepper costing 1.04 euros.  $1.17
200 grams of pepper sausage for 3.70 euros.  Roughly $8.40/pound.

So a little more than we normally pay in northern Wisconsin. You can find some very interesting snacks to try and that makes shopping here a lot of fun for me.

After a morning rain shower the weather now is picture perfect! This from the vantage of my upstairs room in my apartment. Very nice!

2 comments:

  1. So I'm happy that these pickels are better. About your food items, I have to say that something is missing: carrots, salad, tomatoes, fruits...
    One more comment, do you find Papillon roquefort in Wisconsin, one of the most famous brand of roquefort, I guess not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. But I did enjoy a salad for lunch so Wendy would be happy. I had not found the Roquefort in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete