Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Great trip to Brest France

On Tuesday we traveled from Thonon to Lyon to Brest to meet with Ann - an expert in using multiple frequency acoustics for fish and zooplankton assessment. I prepared a talk of our preliminary results and she did a great job of answering my questions and offering ideas for analyses to better interpret our data. She provided me a list of papers that I should read to become more proficient at multiple frequency acoustic applications. Still, I think she was impressed by our nice data and preliminary results. Thanks for your help Ann! Thanks Jean for coordinating the meeting and our adventure to Brest.

She took Jean and I to a crepe restaurant for dinner. Her husband & son joined us. You are served a buckwheat pancake made with water and salt. They are very large in diameter (say 35 cm) and thin (2 mm high). They pour over the top sauces with meat. I had two pancakes. One with scallops and leaks; the other with mussels and shrimp. The pancake is folded over the sauce and meat so you're presented with more or less a square. This is a dish that is served in Brittany (in French Bretagne). It is fantastic!! I never would have thought to combine pancakes with seafood in this way. You can select a variety of types with a variety of meats and sauces (not just seafood). If you get to Brest, you should check out L'Auberge de la Crepe. Awesome. We drank ice cold apple cider (hard cider) with our meal. If you have a crepe in Brest you must be careful because I believe them to be highly addictive. Eat too many and you will need to relocate to Brest. For dessert I had a sugar pancake with apple and ice cream. Perfect! The new flavors I encounter in France always make me smile. Happy Dan!

On Wednesday we went back to Thonon. It is now time for me to pack for home and clean the apartment where I lived the last five weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment