Thursday, April 14, 2016

Day 20 in Thonon!

The other day I finished reading a book entitled 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It is about time travel. I put the book in the break room where people gather for coffee and said it was free. Today I found the book gone. Great!
Today was another day on the lake. Orlane joined the crew and served as captain. I went up to the bow and took these photos of the two larval nets fishing at the same time. 
In one of the trawls we caught a stickleback.  I forgot to ask if it was a 3-spine or 5-spine or something else. It is common for this species to be found in the surface waters of lakes.
We caught fewer larvae this Tuesday (N = 12 individuals in 16 trawl samples) than last week (15-16 in 16 samples) so we decided to add a station over shallower water right next to the Lab's safe harbor. It started and ended where water depths were 7 m. We caught 17 larvae in the two paired trawls! Orlane had been encouraging shallower sampling to increase catches and she was right!
Severine made me tartiflette last week as a gift and today she showed me a bumper sticker on a car.  Instead of "In God we trust" they use the funny saying "In tartiflette we trust". It is perfect.
Here is what a zooplankton net looks like as it is returned to the boat. We use these nets to capture zooplankton utilized by larvae as food.

No comments:

Post a Comment